Turner Construction Company
Procurement Manager – Canada
Turner is a North America-based, international construction services company and is a leading builder in diverse market segments. The company has earned recognition for undertaking large, complex projects, fostering innovation, embracing emerging technologies, and making a difference for their clients, employees and community.
With a staff of 10,000 employees, the company completes $12 billion of construction on 1,500 projects each year. Turner offers clients the accessibility and support of a local firm with the stability and resources of a multi-national organization.
To be the highest value provider of global construction services and technical expertise.
|Division:||Canada – Toronto|
|Project Location(s):||Toronto, ON M4C 1M5 CAN|
|Minimum Years Experience:||10|
|Job Type:||Foreign Local|
Position Description: Overall responsibility for the management of the Procurement Department
Reports To: Preconstruction Manager or General Manager
Essential Duties & Responsibilities*:
- Lead, develop and manage the procurement staff, including completing performance evaluations.
- Manage the subcontractor prequalification process.
- Oversee the maintenance of the master subcontractor list.
- Interact and maintain close contact with the subcontractor market to monitor subcontractor workloads and watch trends and market conditions.
- Foster and enhance subcontractor relationships.
- In conjunction with Community Affairs Department, conduct subcontractor outreach for small, minority, women-owned, and disadvantaged businesses. (M/W/DBE)
- Maintain ongoing communication with project staff with regard to subcontractors’ performance.
- Participate in and assist with presentations and proposals.
- Work hand-in-hand with Estimating and Operations in developing and implementing bidding strategies when assembling competitive bids and proposals.
- Assist Operations in creating the General and Specific Conditions, safety requirements and scope requisitions for each project to ensure that the scope, schedule, M/W/DBE requirements, insurance and bonding requirements are clearly defined for the bidders. Examine the plans and specifications for any deficiencies, construction issues, and technical questions and refer any findings to the Project Engineer.
- Enforce Turner’s standards of safety, Quality Assurance/Quality Control (QA/QC), ethics and core values as set forth in the Company’s policies.
- Develop a comprehensive working knowledge and understanding of the contract documents to ensure all procurement requirements within scope are accomplished within budget.
- Establish and/or work with the job staff in establishing the procurement schedule of the job.
- Oversee and manage the bid, negotiation and award processes for all subcontractors and vendors.
- Receive bids, prepare spreadsheets, conduct scope review meetings with competitive bidders (with Operations staff in attendance as required) to confirm that bidders have complied with scope requirements, alternates and unit pricing, manpower, schedules and logistics plans, M/W/DBE requirements, insurance and bonding requirements, and any other project-specific requirements.
- Evaluate available subcontractors to determine optimal selection for the project.
- Produce Subcontractor Approval Requests (SARs) and submit for further approval.
- Work with Operations to manage subcontractor failures, claims, liens, surety issues, etc.
- Prepare and issue subcontracts and follow up for timely execution of the subcontract,other project-specific items that must be submitted to complete the subcontract process.
- receipt of insurance certificates and Payment and Performance (P&P) bonds, and any
- Maintain current insurance certificates, bonds, and consent of surety for reserve reductions, off-site material payments and final payments.
- Conduct subcontractor evaluations at project completion, in conjunction with Operations.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree plus minimum of ten years of construction experience, including three years of Procurement experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Must have strong interpersonal, leadership, risk management, and negotiation skills. Should have a thorough understanding of contractual language, indemnity, insurance and company policy. Strong computer skills and familiarity with current software and programs (Microsoft Office Suite of programs, SAP, SharePoint). Very strong verbal and written communication skills required.
Physical Demands: Performance of the required duties will require physical ability to climb permanent and temporary stairs, passenger use of construction personnel hoists, ability to climb ladders and negotiate work areas under construction. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Performing this job requires use of hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls, sit, talk and hear, stand, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works on-site at the construction work site where the employee is exposed to moving mechanical parts; high precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; outside weather conditions and risk of electrical shock. The noise in these work environments is usually moderate to very loud.
*May perform other duties as assigned.
Turner Construction Company is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, family status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Accommodations are available, including for applicants with disabilities, in the application and recruitment process, upon request.
To apply for this job please visit turnerconstruction.csod.com.